That'd Be Me

    That'd Be Me
    Explore some Science Fiction and Fantasy I've been writing and check out my book reviews.

    SF books and movies

Motel 666, Page 19


“Take it up!” The foreman of the work crew called to the crane operator. As the cable tightened, the new sign, bearing the logo ‘Motel 666’, rose slowly into the sweltering dry air. Heat waves shimmered from the newly asphalted lot. Most of the shirtless workmen were sweating profusely as they heaved the lower end of the pipe into position over the hole. It dropped down with a ‘plonk’ and several of them started pouring in wheelbarrows of concrete around it as another made sure it was set plumb.

Rajiid knew the motel was more an excuse than a real business, but he still couldn’t help feeling a twinge of pride as the sign went up and they prepared to open. If they actually got any business it would be a plus. Then he noticed Missy. Thankfully she was dressed decently now, in her skirt and frilly blouse, but she was certainly displaying far more interest in the workmen than he would have liked. He doubted she even noticed there was a new sign. “Where is your school bus?”

“Didn’t I tell you? They’re having a big teacher’s conference in Kansas City today. I get a three day weekend!”

“But you just started a week ago and your school will close for summer vacation in less than a month!”

0 comments:

Which kind of SF do you like most?

I'm Kinda Forgetful...

Did I mention my Science Fiction Store?

About Me

My photo
I'm a crusty curmudgeon who loves Science Fiction, uninhibited women, a good argument, and trying to get my computer to do what I want rather than what it wants.

Copyright Notice

All original material on this site (i.e. stories, comments, reviews, etc.) are copyright 2009 (or date of post) by Don (full name on file).